Friday, January 18, 2013

Banjir or in other word... flood.

Flood is inevitable. When there's a high intense amount of precipitation, most area in Jakarta is likely paralysed by the excess amount of water.

6 years of living in Jakarta, never have I ever felt a flood so paralysing that every headline stated "Jakarta Paralysed". The rain pours heavily since 3 am til the morning, nonstop. SMAK1 Penabur has decided to call a day off, which left me wondering. When's my school's turn, acknowledging that my school is in an area  prone to flooding. So, because there's no further announcement of a day off regarding to the nonstop rain and the chance of flood, I went to school. Usually the bell rings at 6.25 straight. But because of the heavy traffic, the rain, and the number of students. So the bell rang at 7.00 am, then had our lessons. It was only 30 mins of history and 30 mins of Bahasa Indonesia til the school radio announces that we're dismissed earlier due to the heavy rain (still) and the already flooding road. Here, my adventure begin.

Waiting to be fetched at school was nonsense because the rain pour even heavier by then and as what I've stated before, my school area is prone to flooding. So, by 9 am, my friends and I decided to walk through the flood to Mall Kelapa Gading (the advantage of living in Kelapa Gading, you have malls everywhere). The flood was pretty high and the water was cold for a novice like me, who has zero experiences in walking through flood. But walking with nearly 10 of my friends was truely an experience. Flood fact #1 The amazing feeling when walking is faster than by car.

Arrived at the mall at 10ish with damp clothes, damp shoes and no socks on. Flood fact #2 Flood is the only time you can laze and sit on floors, walk barefooted, charge your phone wherever you want without someone knocking on you and says no. Not much shops were open because I assumed that their SPG/SPBs were trapped in the jam or flood.

Spent 5 hours doing nothing just watching the news and eat, because I'm not in a decent clothes (damp clothes, a sweater, damp PE shorts, and most of all.. barefooted) to be in Zara or Pull and Bear lurking around for discounted clothings. Because most of us wanted to go home.. so here we go, walking through the flood, another 4,2 km to go!

Flood fact #3. Amazing view. There's no rich and poor. Everyone's blending as one. A lady in her Louis Vuitton bag, standing on a garbage truck with others. By 5ish pm I was home already, safe and sound. And flood did indeed teach me good stuffs. How to have fun and be grateful.


















Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment